Posted on: 6 February 2015
Do flickering lights make it seem as though you are living in a home with paranormal activity? Don't just assume it is a ghost, because the problem may actually be that the electrical wiring in your home is in need of a crucial repair. Find out what can happen when there is bad electrical wiring in a home and how much you will likely spend on repairs.
What Can Happen in a Home with Damaged Electrical Wiring?
Besides the spooky flickering lights, bad electrical wiring can cause your light fixtures to make popping noises when they are turned on. Sometimes it is the wiring that is inside of the fixtures causing the problems, so you must make sure you don't need new fixtures. If the fixtures are damaged and you don't get them replaced, your home can catch on fire. You should avoid the possibility of a fire at all costs because your home can burn to the ground with lightning speed, especially if it is small.
Damaged electrical wiring can also cause the covers on your outlets to melt or become discolored. The wires can send too many volts of electricity from the electrical panel into the outlets. Plugging your electronics into outlets with bad wiring can destroy them. You may experience the cords connected to the electronics burning out fast because of the high voltage.
You need an electrician to inspect your home as soon as possible when there are signs of bad wiring in your home. He or she will be able to check the voltage rates running through the outlets with a multimeter, as well as determine if the electrical panel should be repaired or replaced. In some cases, you may need to get the entire house rewired to reduce the risk of a fire.
How Much Does Repairs for Damaged Wiring Cost?
Rewiring a home can cost an average of up to $30,000 depending on what type of repairs are necessary. Repair costs will also depend on the size of your home and how easy it is for an electrician to access damaged wiring. If you want the electrician to install new light fixtures and remove the ones making popping noises, repair costs will be even higher.
Damaged electrical wiring is not the type of problem in your home that you can just push aside until a later date. It is vital for you to contact an electrician to make repairs so you won't end up losing your home to a fire! (For more information, contact RDS Electric)Share